23 July 2008

A little of this and a little of that

I've been up to quite a bit lately. My sweetie and I decided to make maple sugar candy the other day. It was much more successful than our first attempt where it didn't set up. This time we beat it for a bit too long and it set up too quickly to get it into the molds. We had to put it in a glass pan then cut it apart later. Not the neatest looking candy, but it tastes pretty good!
My next endeavor was to make a sling for the baby. I was going to order one on etsy but they depend on your size and I didn't want to spend all that money then (hopefully) loose weight and have to buy another one. So I went to Walmart and got some inexpensive fabric. I wanted something heavier than quilters cotton and my only choice was camouflage, great for a boy, not so great for my little girl. But I did find this camo fabric:
It's camo butterflies, a bit more girly. After 2 hours or so of sewing and trying to figure out the instructions, I had this:
My baby sling. I've got my great babyhawk mei tai carrier for outings, but this will be nice for around the house while I'm trying to get stuff done. It's basically a slightly shaped piece of fabric that is folded in half. My body goes where the chair is and she'll go in the fold of the fabric at first and when she gets bigger she sits on the fabric. We'll see how it works and for $8 worth of fabric and 2 hours of my life I can make another one if I loose weight.

My last crafting project was a rag quilt for the little girl. There's a quilt shop hop going on this week and I went to the 2 local quilt shops (that's probably all I'll get to because I really don't have the money to spend on stuff and I feel like I have to buy something at every store, plus all the other stores are about an hour away). Anyway one shop was selling a rag quilt kit. I had this grand idea of making a beautiful, labor-intensive, appliqué quilt for her, but I haven't worked on the thing in months so I thought I'd make her a rag quilt in the meantime so she at least had one blankee from her mama! Here's a picture of the back:
And one with a bit more fabric detail:
I just washed it today but I haven't gotten a picture of the ragginess yet. It's absolutely adorable though!

And just for the fun of it, here's a picture of Cooper protecting the house from his lookout on the deck:
One of these days I may actually have a knitting FO, but don't hold your breath!!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

The rag quilt is so cute! Will there be maple suger candy left when I get there??